Hiram Rosenwald School & Museum
732 Hiram Douglasville Highway, Hiram, Ga. 30141
In 1912, Julius Rosenwald, President of Sears, Roebuck, and Co., established the Rosenwald Fund to assist in community construction of public schools for African-American students in the South by assisting local construction projects that had raised additional funds.
By the 1930s, one in every five rural southern schools for African-Americans had been constructed with aid from Rosenwald Fund, a total of nearly 5,000 schools.
The Hiram Rosenwald School opened in 1930 as the Hiram Colored School. It was the only Rosenwald School in Paulding County and at that time the only African-American school with a library in the the County. The school operated from 1930 until 1955.
The Georgia historical marker was erected by the Georgia Historical Society and the Hiram Rosenwald School Preservation Committee in 2007.
For more information contact the Hiram Rosenwald School Preservation Committee through Joan Battle at (770) 943-7473 or by mail: Attn: Vivian Anderson; P.O. Box 1865; Hiram, GA 30141